Beta-secretase 1 (BACE1) is also known as beta-site APP cleaving enzyme 1 (beta-site amyloid precursor protein cleaving enzyme 1), memapsin-2 (membrane-associated aspartic protease 2), and aspartyl protease 2 (ASP2), β-Secretase , and is a member of the peptidase A1 protein family, BACE1 is a type I integral membrane glycoprotein and aspartic protease that is found mainly in the Golgi. BACE1 is an aspartic-acid protease important in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease, and in the formation of myelin sheaths in peripheral nerve cells. The transmembrane protein contains two active site aspartate residues in its extracellular protein domain and may function as a dimer. This protease is responsible for the proteolytic processing of the amyloid precursor protein (APP). Generation of the 40 or 42 amino acid-long amyloid-β peptides that aggregate in the brain of Alzheimer's patients requires two sequential cleavages of the APP. Extracellular cleavage of APP by BACE creates a soluble extracellular fragment and a cell membrane-bound fragment referred to as C99. The elevation of BACE1 levels can be induced by amyloid plaques surrounding neurons at early stages of pathology before neuron death occurs, and may drive a positive-feedback loop in AD.
Lyophilized Protein should be stored at -20°C or lower for long term storage. Upon reconstitution, working aliquots should be stored at -20°C or -70°C. Avoid repeated freeze-thaw cycles.
- Tested Applications: WB
- Applications: This recombinant protein can be used for WB. For research use only.
- Predicted Molecular Weight: 75 kDa
- Physical state: Lyophilized
- Buffer: 50 mM tris, 100 mM glycine, pH7.5
- Concentration: N/A
- NCBI official symbol: BACE1
- Accession #: NP_036236.1
- Protein GI: N/A
- NCBI gene ID#: 23621
- NCBI official full name: beta-site APP-cleaving enzyme 1
- NCBI organism: Homo sapiens
- Peptide sequence: N/A
- SWISSPROT #: P56817
- Background Reference 1: Willem M, et al., 2006, Science 314 (5799): 664–6.
- Background Reference 2: Zacchetti D, et al., 2007, Neurodegener Dis. 4: 117-126.
- Background Reference 3: Zhao J. et al., 2007, J. Neurosci. 27: 3639- 3649.
- Background Reference 4: N/A
- Background Reference 5: N/A
- Source: HEK293 cells
- Species: Human
- By Source: Human Cells
- By Species: Human
- Fusion tag: N-Fc Tag
- Sequence: Thr 22 - Thr 457
- Biology activity: Measured by its ability to cleave a fluorogenic peptide substrate, Mca-SEVNLDAEFRK (Dpn) RR-NH2. The specific activity is > 1. 5 pmoles /min /µg.
- Purity: >85% as determined by SDS-PAGE.
Products are intended for laboratory research purposes only and should be used by qualified personnel only. They are not intended for use in humans. ProSci is not liable for damages or injuries resulting from receipt and/or use of ProSci materials. Please refer to the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for safe storage, handling, and use procedures.